Object (comet?) in NGC 1499 from December 2022 Other · Mark Germani · ... · 7 · 198 · 3

mgermani 5.38
· 
Hi folks:

I just reprocessed an image of NGC 1499/California Nebula I captured in December of 2022 and January of 2023. Link and full details here:

NGC 1499 (California Nebula) HOO with RGB Stars

Above and to the left of Menkib are two bluish blotches that don't appear to be hot pixels, but look more like a comet. I don't have the subs handy right now, but they would appear to correspond to the two nights of imaging using the L-eXtreme filter, about a month apart. The object has moved, but a relatively short distance.

ngc1499_comet.jpg
Here is a better view of them, circled in red. Apologies if this really is just hot blue pixels that got stacked/rejected oddly, but it really does look like the glow of a comet to me. Odd thing is, it doesn't appear in the broadband data (L-Pro) taken a few nights after the final L-eXtreme session, but that was just an hour of very short exposures for RGB stars, so perhaps it's too faint to show up there.

I tried Stellarium but couldn't find anything in that area, though I'm not a pro user. Is there anyone out there that could help me ID this object, or objects?

CS,
Mark
siovene
· 
·  1 like
Here's a search result for images of the California Nebula with acquisition dates around that time.

https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=%22California%22&d=i&subject=&telescope=&camera=&date_published_min=2011-11-09&date_published_max=2024-03-19&date_acquired_min=2022-12-01&date_acquired_max=2023-01-31&sort=

There's 4 pages of them, so if you don't find an answer here, you could check them out and perhaps ask some of the photographers to check their subs
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
That doesn't look like a comet. Looks maybe like a reflection nebula?

Will check on Aladin
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
Nothing there:
rgerg.png
Since you say it moved a short distance, I don't know what it is.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
You need to add dates and times in UT to allow to do a search in the MPC website.
mgermani 5.38
· 
andrea tasselli:
You need to add dates and times in UT to allow to do a search in the MPC website.

December 14 2022 & January 18 2023 for the two nights the object appeared. When I’m back at home I’ll check the subs for the specific time, but given how little it moved, I suspect that might not make a huge difference. Thanks all! Curious mystery.
mgermani 5.38
· 
Salvatore Iovene:
Here's a search result for images of the California Nebula with acquisition dates around that time.

https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=%22California%22&d=i&subject=&telescope=&camera=&date_published_min=2011-11-09&date_published_max=2024-03-19&date_acquired_min=2022-12-01&date_acquired_max=2023-01-31&sort=

There's 4 pages of them, so if you don't find an answer here, you could check them out and perhaps ask some of the photographers to check their subs

Thanks for the link Salvatore! I had a good look at the images and couldn't find anything matching what I see on my stacked image. I'm beginning to think it might be a stacking artifact, though it looks very similar to what I see on a single sub of a comet. I'll check individual subs again and see.
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
No known comet at that time within 1 degree radius from Ksi Persei. To better identify the thing (if indeed is a thing) I'd need a fix of both time and position.

Register or login to create to post a reply.