First good equipment CentralDS CDS-1100D · Filip Trawiński · ... · 7 · 204 · 0

Ftraw 0.00
· 
Hello all. Im new here. I would like to Ask you about my choice. Currently im user of Sigma 70-300 for my canon 1100d. I know its quite old and not well one. I want to pick up the new one between 150-200mm. Options are 2. Samyang 135 which is a little less then i want on focal lenght but F2 seems nice, and askar 180 pro. I really love images from askar but dont know if IT can be better than samyang/rokinon. What option would be better for canon 1100d and why? Thanks.
Edited ...
Tapfret 4.95
· 
The answer is all dependent on 2 things:

1. Your intended targets/photographic style.
2. Your budget.

I am becoming a bit of an Askar fanboy now that I have owned an FR400 for several months, but I am unfamiliar with the 180 beyond the reviews I see. Those reviews are generally quite good. 

As somebody who started with DSLR astrophotography, I really wish I had been patient and saved money for a scope, mount and dedicated astro camera. I sunk a lot of money on DSLR gear I don't use.
Edited ...
Ftraw 0.00
· 
Nebulas like heart and soul, rossete, america and others. I really like them.
budqet like 500 dollars for now. Fot guiding and mount also so now optic max to 200mm.
jml79 3.87
· 
My vote would be for the FMA180 Pro. It comes with a foot and rotator, has a place for standard 2" filters, has enough back spacing for an OAG and filter wheel, an easy kit to add a focuser. You will need a Canon T-ring for you current camera but it will be easy to make the 180 work with anything you might buy in the future. The Samyang is a fiddly lens that doesn’t have enough back spacing for filter wheels and OAG, most ring kits for mounts are homemade 3D printed jobs, same for focuser mounts, you would have to buy and use clip filters. Over all much more fiddly.

Both seem to be the most popular option in their category but the FMA180 is purpose built where the 135 is adapted to Astro use. Just spend the extra few dollars for the Pro model of the 180. It’s a very nice upgrade. 

As for a mount, my advice is either dive in for a proper mid range mount like an HEQ5, CEM26, GEM28 or spend as little as possible on a used one, Star Adventurer, iExos, or EQM-35. All small entry level mounts are very limiting and you will outgrow them. My Star Adventurer rarely gets used, my EQM-35 is a constant source of frustration and takes regular adjustment to continue working with any sort of accuracy, my EQ6R has been a reliable, very accurate workhorse since the day I bought it and hasn’t required a second thought.
Ftraw 0.00
· 
Thank you. Have CG 5 GT and im happy with him for now with guiding.
Edited ...
Ftraw 0.00
· 
No need any backfocus for 180 pro? Just camera adapter and go?
dkamen 6.89
· 
The Samyang is f/2, even if you stop it down to 2.8 which is what I do to keep things razor sharp it still remains way faster (the aperture at 2.8 is 48mm so it can actually resolve more things if you attach a camera with smaller pixels in the future!). There aren't many other optics performing so fast and so well at less than 2000 dollars. 

On the other hand Askar is half the price, comes from a manufacturer with known good quality and features slightly larger magnification, although not large enough to be significant IMO, you will be targetting the same things.

I think whichever you choose you will be happy.
jml79 3.87
· 
Filip Trawiński:
No need any backfocus for 180 pro? Just camera adapter and go?

Yes it will need backfocus to get to 55mm but most Canon T-Rings I have seen have this built in but not all. So make sure you get one with the few mm of required backspace. I don't have any Canon gear but I do have the William Optics E-Mount adapter for Sony and it has been spot on with 2 scopes so far.

Register or login to create to post a reply.