Samyang 135 type lens with electronic focus? Samyang 135mm F2.0 ED UMC · Alien_Enthusiast · ... · 13 · 307 · 6

Alien_Enthusiast 2.11
· 
Dear AstroBinners,

I recently tested my new setup consisting of Samyang 135 f2 lens and ZWO ASI 585 MC camera.

Camera is great, but the lens doesnt seem to be so good.

I have 2 main problems with it:

1. Manual focus (its pure suffering to get it to perfection, even with bahktinov mask, it can take a lot of time)

2. Lens is too fast, and as Im imaging from the city, its f2 ratio is an overkill, so I either have to do 5sec exposures, or lower the f-ratio, which defeats the whole purpose of having such a fast lens

My question is simple - are there any similar lenses that have electronic focus? (preferably with Sony E adapter)

I dont care as much about the f ratio and the exeptional optical quality, as I mostly image from polluted areas. What I do care about, however, would be the speed at which I can setup my rig and get it to work. Most of the time I have ~2 hour sessions, so setting up the manual focus for 40min is a problem.

I do know that there are manual autofocusers designed for for Samyang type lenses, but they not only add bulk but price. My goal is to simplify operations. Electronic focuser would be the ideal solution in this case.
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
·  1 like
There are a few options to add an EAF to your Roki/Sammy 135.   This is the one I have, it's well built.     I haven't added my EAF yet as it's out on loan, but I have no concerns that it wont work.

If your concerned, I'd just stop down the lens and use this setup.   With a computer/mini pc and NINA behind it, you'll be up and running in minutes.

https://agenaastro.com/astrodymium-ring-system-with-zwo-eaf-asiair-mount-for-rokinon-samyang-135mm-f-2-lens-rs-135-eaf-s.html
steve14 2.11
· 
·  2 likes
I have added an EAF using the Astrodymium system that Brian Puhl  mentioned. When used in conjunction with a Skywatcher GTI mount, guide scope and ASIAIR, i can easily get 5 minute subs with my Samyang 135mm lens and ASI294MC pro camera. I do stop it down to F4, but it works well and is very portable.
janvalphotography 4.36
· 
·  1 like
I use the Astrodymium system with the EAF. Recently did my first run with the 2600MM to check for backfocus adjustments. I stopped down to about F/2.8 with step down rings.

stars after correct only in bxt vs before:
image-16.png

Example from outside the centre (only STF):
image-15.png

I think there is about 13 subs at 10 minutes in there, backfocus can be a problem to adjust. I'm going to use 0.1mm shims. The EAF works wonders though
mxpwr 4.37
· 
·  1 like
Get the Bajonett replacement from flo

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

​​​​If you have a 3d printer you can print the holders yourself. I can upload my diy design.
20231015_123014.jpg

The diy solution is a lot cheaper, about 50€ with the motor and Arduino making the bulk of the cost.
Edited ...
Alien_Enthusiast 2.11
· 
The EAF seems like a promising upgrade, but there is one major problem that makes it unusable for my purposes.

It need its own source of power.

The whole idea is to have a setup which fully runs off my laptop.

For this exact reason Im using 585 instead of 533 cooled one. Cooling is nice, so is EAF, but I cannot afford to carry the weight of additional power supply. I need it to be as light as it gets.

Running ASI 585 from my laptop feels truly amazing. No bulk. No batteries like in DSLR. My laptop has enough battery to support it for multiple hours. Great.

Star Adventurer runs of AA battaries. Even better.

So Id need something like this but for lens. Like with some of those DSLRs where you just plug the thing into your laptop and you can adjust focus from your PC.

Idk if thats even possible - but thats my dream 

So if you know any lenses that work that way let me know!
mxpwr 4.37
· 
You can run the focuser with 5v. Even if it required 12v you could use a 5v to 12v DC converter.
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  1 like
If your worried about power, they don't get much smaller than this, and cheap.
Set it behind your laptop, you'd never know it's there.
batery.jpg
Alien_Enthusiast 2.11
· 
Bob Lockwood:
If your worried about power, they don't get much smaller than this, and cheap.
Set it behind your laptop, you'd never know it's there.
batery.jpg

Would they allow such thing on a plane?
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  1 like
You'd need to check with the airline. Being such a small battery, you may be able to carry-on, or it may need to be checked.
mxpwr 4.37
· 
·  1 like
I'd be very surprised if you were allowed to bring this on a plane. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous on a plane and airlines have strict limits on the max capacity, usually 100Wh or less. I can only imagine the discussion with the security personnel 😬
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
Alien_Enthusiast:
The EAF seems like a promising upgrade, but there is one major problem that makes it unusable for my purposes.

It need its own source of power.

No it doesnt.  I think the old revisions might have required a barrel jack 12v, but I have 3 of them and all 3 run off USB power.

Please listen to what we're telling you.   We might know a few things    Stick with your Roki, get an EAF.

Edit:  Here's the blurb about 12v vs 5v
blurb.png

Found here:
https://agenaastro.com/zwo-eaf-electronic-automatic-focuser-standard-5v-eaf-std.html
Edited ...
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  1 like
D. Jung:
I'd be very surprised if you were allowed to bring this on a plane. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous on a plane and airlines have strict limits on the max capacity, usually 100Wh or less. I can only imagine the discussion with the security personnel 😬

Yep, just looked into this. It's very unlikely you will get a 10Ah battery on an airplane.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
·  2 likes
Brian Puhl is right.  My zwo eaf works off usb 2
.0, there is no 12v plug on it.

I also have the samyang 135 with the astrodymium mount.  With the eaf and guiding I can easily do 5 minutes exposures, possibly more if there is no wind, at f/2.8

I stop down at 2.8 as all the youtubers who tested the rokinon/samyang for astro say it's not that good at 2.0

Register or login to create to post a reply.