Thinking to get one?! TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 FPL53 Triplet Apo - 3.7" Focuser · borko · ... · 9 · 580 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
Would you purchase this again given the chance to redo the decision?
Yes, great choice and value
No, I would save more to get something else
Jborko 0.90
· 
Hi all, 

After about 3 summers of astrophotography with the Sky-Watcher Evostar ED80 and the EQM35-Pro, I am looking to change/upgrade the setup. Already got the CEM70G as a new mount, still need more chances to use it extensively. When upgrading the scope, I want to make sure I future proof my purchase by not making the mistakes I made with the initial purchase, so I want to achieve few things...
  • Have higher reach (focal length and magnification wise)
  • Occasional visual usage, so good contrast, CA control important too
  • Remove as much vignetting as possible on a Full Frame sensor (APS-C monochrome sized sensor now (2600MM), but want to go FF in the future)
  • Avoid focuser slippage problems that I have with the ED80 now (even after tightening the focuser)
  • Be able to go faster by focal reducer
  • Price range <3K, including a reducer
  • My next project will be Helix nebula
  • European distributor

This scope seems to be ticking all those boxes and many more, based on what I read about it. So here goes my question.

What is the catch with its pricing?

Competition seems to be more expensive while offering same glass elements, smaller focusers, no other extra stuff.
How happy are you as owners? If you have a chance to exchange for another 130mm (±10mm) aperture range refractor, would you?
Edited ...
deepanvishal 4.06
· 
·  3 likes
Hi,

My sample had mild CA.
However, my 4” FPL55 OTA did not have CA.
My 4” OTA suffered pinching during winter. 

I live in US. So incase of problems, the service trips involves long journey, which is cumbersome and has risks of  collimation misalignments. 

Given these problems I would consider a different scope if I had to redo it. 

But in general, I see a lot of people using it with great results. But my vote is ‘No’.

The alternate scope that worked for me is Esprit. I had an 100mm and 120mm scope in the past and currently use 150mm. All three scopes produced round tight stars with no CA, had robust focusers, round stars edge to edge with APSC sensors with the mentioned backfocus and I didn’t have to experiment for the correct backfocus. 

Just my thoughts and experience. 
Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Deepan
Jborko 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Thanks Deepan, this helps indeed. Looking forward to see the experience of the others too. Anyone uses it with a FF sensor? How are the corners (with the flattener or reducer)?
maze 1.51
· 
·  2 likes
I have the same scope, with a smaller focuser
I've used a full frame sensor on it
It was mounted on EQ6-R pro

In my astrobin there are not many examples done with this telescopes, because i am a bit lazy...
But i have collected over 1000 hours with it and it is indeed a very good value for the price

Before purchasing i've checked astrobin other users like pete_xl and you can see there the value and the quality

i'd buy it again
birelian 5.49
· 
·  4 likes
I have two TS Optics scopes:

- TS Photoline 130: The first one I bought, 2 years ago. It showed heavy CA from the beginning and I sent it back to Teleskop-Express almost at the end of the warranty period. They kindly asked me to send several pictures and stated that there were strong CA and it should be collimated. I sent it and after 2 months i got it back (I am from Spain, so it is close to Germany). They told me that the scope had been collimated but they said (pasted from their e-mail)

"we just checkt and collimate your telescope. The only thing we need to let you know is that the chromatic aberration is not gone. All APO130f7-P telescopes we have here have slightly aberration. So we cant change that, we are sorry. "

So, would it buy it again? No.

- TS CF 80 APO: I bought it while waiting the 130 to be fixed. They are FPL55 with certificate, and I must say it is a beast. Lot superior that my 130.

So, said that, are all Photoline 130 bad? Not at all. I am sure I simply had bad luck.

By the way, the both of them are mecanically awesome. But I would go and get the TS CF APO series.

Guiem.
Edited ...
messierman3000 4.02
· 
·  1 like
I would have saved to get a Petzvel refractor.
Edited ...
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
·  1 like
As I understand it from a few folks familiar with the photoline line of fracs.... The 140 is the one to get, the others are rebranded scopes.   I can say I've gotten a chance to play with some 140 data and it might have made me a little jealous. Very sharp scope.

I would take a gander at the Espirit line.    I have a 100 coming in two days.    If I had the cash, it would have been a 120
Edited ...
Jborko 0.90
· 
Thanks all for the replies, very useful. From few phone calls I made to various resellers, the  real difference comes primarily with the full frame performance of the Esprit which is apparently be better on the Esprit line albeit more expensive and smaller diameter (speaking the esprit 120 vs photoline 130). Most probably I will go ahead with the esprit at the end. Still thinking through.
SeaLint 1.20
· 
·  1 like
For what it's worth: I recently bought an askar 130PHQ. Great 130 size scope. Fantastic fit and finish, optics are excellent.
Edited ...
deepanvishal 4.06
· 
·  1 like
borko:
Thanks Deepan, this helps indeed. Looking forward to see the experience of the others too. Anyone uses it with a FF sensor? How are the corners (with the flattener or reducer)?

I’ve just started imagining full frame with Esprit 150 with flattener
I have tilt at one corner. Just a mild one.
But that is something that could be tuned.

Register or login to create to post a reply.