CEM120 Counter Weight iOptron CEM120 · F. Londe · ... · 15 · 386 · 2

neptune2015 3.01
· 
is there a 11 Lbs compatible counterweight for CEM120, Ioptron doesn't have one?
jschella 0.00
· 
·  3 likes
ADM sells an 8 lb and 15 lb stainless steel counterweight for the 1.5 inch shaft. 

They are not cheap to. 

Jason
neptune2015 3.01
· 
Jason Schella:
ADM sells an 8 lb and 15 lb stainless steel counterweight for the 1.5 inch shaft. 

They are not cheap to. 

Jason

thanks
JonChardAstrobin 0.00
· 
Are you in the UK?  I have a spare cem120 10kg weight for sale.
JonChardAstrobin 0.00
· 
[email][email protected][/email]

email me if interested.
neptune2015 3.01
· 
Jon Chard:
Are you in the UK?  I have a spare cem120 10kg weight for sale.

I am in the USA, 
thanks anyway.
wsg 11.35
· 
·  1 like
What is it you are trying to accomplish?  Every Ioptron mount I have owned has come complete with enough counter weight to work with the expressed load of the mount.  It seems odd that you need to add just 1 pound to the counter weight.  Can you explain the situation in more detail?

scott
JimLindelien
· 
·  1 like
I needed a smaller weight for my CEM120 and found that Software Bisque in the USA markets weights for 1.5 dia. shafts,

https://www.bisque.com/product-category/counterweights-and-cwshafts/
JonChardAstrobin 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I use 4 x 10kg for a 20kg 12" newt.  I would use 5 if i had them.  CEM's need more coutnerweights than GEM.
bmantooth 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
I have found that having a small weight on the end of the stack allows for much easier fine tuning compared to adjusting the big weights.
JimLindelien
· 
·  2 likes
Another much lower cost option is to drill a 1.5" hole in a masonery paver. Amazon sells a diamond concrete coring bit at about $20 and the paver is a few bucks at any big box hardware store.
neptune2015 3.01
· 
What is it you are trying to accomplish?  Every Ioptron mount I have owned has come complete with enough counter weight to work with the expressed load of the mount.  It seems odd that you need to add just 1 pound to the counter weight.  Can you explain the situation in more detail?

scott

if a mount the Edgehd I am ok
but if I try the ed127 I am way off,
anyway I use a bag with bricks exactly 11lbs
and I was able to balance the mount with the ed127.
neptune2015 3.01
· 
Jim Lindelien:
I needed a smaller weight for my CEM120 and found that Software Bisque in the USA markets weights for 1.5 dia. shafts,

https://www.bisque.com/product-category/counterweights-and-cwshafts/

thanks, I just ordered from Tolga Astro
JimLindelien
· 
·  1 like
It occurs to me that for safety reasons I must be more verbose about my description of the low cost paver counterweight, as I have posted to a general audience.

When I made one of these as a teen a half century ago, it was to add weight by just sitting on another counterweight, i.e., no real stress on the concrete itself. It did not need a thumbscrew to tighten it to the shaft, and anyone contemplating this design should avoid such a tightening mechanism. It would put tension stress into the paver, whereas concrete is only strong in compression. The paver can split in half and cause equipment damage or injury. 

To use it as an adjustable Vernier weight one might anchor it on the shaft between two short pieces of PVC pipe having a couple of thumbscrews each. Or, by using a couple of "Vice Grip" tools. (Hey, maybe  just use the vice grip(s) as the Vernier?) To avoid scratching the shaft, wrap electrical tape over the teeth in the vice grip jaws.  Ugly but cost effective if that is the priority requirement. Mass is mass, widely available locally in many low cost forms. ;)
wsg 11.35
· 
·  1 like
F. Londe:

scott

Did you receive 2 different sizes of weights with your mount.  Ioptron sends 2 sizes so balance can be achieved by placing the weights in various positions on the bar.

weights
Edited ...
neptune2015 3.01
· 
F. Londe:

scott

Did you receive 2 different sizes of weights with your mount.  Ioptron sends 2 sizes so balance can be achieved by placing the weights in various positions on the bar.

weights

I did both are the same size and weight 22lbs,

Register or login to create to post a reply.