Software: Deep Sky Stacker or Photoshop? [Solar System] Processing techniques · schmaks · ... · 6 · 176 · 0

schmaks 0.00
Hi,

Is everyone using something like Deep Sky Stacker to stack or is anyone doing everything within Photoshop?

Curious about the process and results from each.

Thanks!
wouterdhoye 0.00
Hi,

Deep sky stacker is only good for deep sky imaging. For solar system imaging Autostakkert is much better and me program of choice. Note however that autostakkert does just that, stack the images from an AVI or SER file. Further processing is done in different software. I use lynkeos (MAC) for deconvolution sharpening, and afterwards Adobe Phootooshop for final image frocessing.

Clear skies,

Wouter
morefield 11.37
Hi,Is everyone using something like Deep Sky Stacker to stack or is anyone doing everything within Photoshop?

Curious about the process and results from each.

Thanks!

Photoshop picks up pretty much where DeepSkyStacker stops. So I don’t think it’s an either/or with those two.

It’s very common here for someone to use Pixinsight, CCDStack, or one of a few other astrophoto specific programs to do the stacking and produce a TIFF and then many will migrate to Photoshop for the finishing touches.

That, of course, is for traditions deep-sky images.  Planetary, lucky imaging and EAA often follow different software paths using Autostakkart or Sharpcap as an example.
Rich-sky
DSS is for stacking, photoshop I don't think will do that. If you have a colour ccd or camera, DSS will debayer the image and again, not sure if photoshop will debayer the image.
Photoshop is not needed for AP, unless you wish to ambelish your images, which I never do.
and StarTools for Mac but you already know that. Beyond ST, pixinsight and other software.

For planets, yes, autostakker (video stacking) and StarTools.
Clear skies
Edited ...
schmaks 0.00
Rich Sky:
DSS is for stacking, photoshop I don't think will do that. If you have a colour ccd or camera, DSS will debayer the image and again, not sure if photoshop will debayer the image.Photoshop is not needed for AP, unless you wish to ambelish your images, which I never do.
and StarTools for Mac but you already know that. Beyond ST, pixinsight and other software.

For planets, yes, autostakker (video stacking) and StarTools.
Clear skies

Thanks, Rich!

I’ve seem some people using photoshop for everything with impressive results using the stitch batch process to stack, etc.

That said, it doesn’t appear many on here are doing that so I’m guessing there is a reason for that.
Rich-sky
Regim is another one by Andreas Roerig. Works well.

https://www.andreasroerig.de/regim/regim.xhtml
mxcoppell 8.31
Another great option is the Astro Pixel Processor.

Register or login to create to post a reply.