PrimaLuce Sesto Senso V.2 Primaluce Lab SESTO SENSO 2 · andrea tasselli · ... · 35 · 1220 · 0

jlmanatee 0.00
· 
I know this thread is about the v2, but I'm chiming in about my experience with the v1.  One problem I had may be experienced with the v2 as well.  I use mine on a Tak FSQ-85edx.  After a couple years of use, I found that the setscrews in the aluminum coupler had worked loose.  In fact the M3 setscrew on one side of the coupler stripped out after over-tightening.  I was able to fix the issue by drilling/tapping an M4 setscrew into it, then applying blue Loctite to both setscrews to (hopefully) keep them from backing out again.  I also found that the Tak's micro focuser shaft was loose.  Since tightening this all up, I've had no problems, mechanically.
  My other issue has been with the stepper motor seemingly losing its mind after powering it down.  It loses all it's settings and won't take new ones.  My only recourse has been to re-install the firmware and recalibrate.  It's happened so often that I made a wooden gage to quickly find the half-way location on the focuser during calibration.  I've taken to leaving it supplied with 12v power at all times.  That will do till I dismantle the obsy for the winter months.
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
Jack Mogren:
I know this thread is about the v2, but I'm chiming in about my experience with the v1.  One problem I had may be experienced with the v2 as well.  I use mine on a Tak FSQ-85edx.  After a couple years of use, I found that the setscrews in the aluminum coupler had worked loose.  In fact the M3 setscrew on one side of the coupler stripped out after over-tightening.  I was able to fix the issue by drilling/tapping an M4 setscrew into it, then applying blue Loctite to both setscrews to (hopefully) keep them from backing out again.  I also found that the Tak's micro focuser shaft was loose.  Since tightening this all up, I've had no problems, mechanically.
  My other issue has been with the stepper motor seemingly losing its mind after powering it down.  It loses all it's settings and won't take new ones.  My only recourse has been to re-install the firmware and recalibrate.  It's happened so often that I made a wooden gage to quickly find the half-way location on the focuser during calibration.  I've taken to leaving it supplied with 12v power at all times.  That will do till I dismantle the obsy for the winter months.

I have the V1 as well (and the V2 too, just not installed yet but this due to unrelated issues) and the issue I had I have spelled out in another thread. Since then I have never had the issue with looseing the settings (i.e., the calibration) otherwise I'd have returned it (I see no point in autofocuser loosing calibration). Crossing fingers that won't happen but I wonder if isn't due to a firmware issue.
jlmanatee 0.00
· 
Andrea, see my response to your post.  I only saw it after this one. 
mtmcmikey 0.00
· 
I recently got the SS2 for my WO Zenithstar 73iii. When I was researching focus motors, a big consideration was the weight of my main camera, a QSI583 wsg, which is built like a tank, and about as heavy. The Z73’s focuser is pretty robust, but I was still concerned with slippage when gunning for targets near zenith. The Sesto Senso 2 holds focus like a champ.

A couple of critical notes (but minor):

When I first received it, I didn’t realize it needed an adapter to fit my focuser. In hind sight, PLL makes them available, and the information on which one you need is on their website, but it’s not easy to find. The first thing you find on their site says (or intimates) in its stock form, it fits most focusers. That’s not really accurate. But once you find the info, you can get the right adapter for your needs.

Also, when I first tried to connect to APT, it said it couldn’t use the port it was connected to. After a little research, that’s apparently a common issue. The fix is to uninstall and reinstall the PLL ASCOM driver. I didn’t have to re-download, just went back to the original installation file I already had in my computer. After that, works amazingly. 

Otherwise, I love it!  It is a somewhat heavy piece that sticks off the side of the scope, so for balance purposes, I rotated the scope so the SS2 is mostly vertical. I can then rotate my camera independently with the flattener/reducer’s rotation adjustment.

Hope this helps!
Edited ...
RononDex 9.03
· 
It works flawlessly for me (using it with INDI / EKOS controlled with a raspberry pi 4B).

The only thing to make sure is, that your battery never drops below ~11.5V or so, or the stepper motor and motor controller will start having issues
mgutierrez 1.43
· 
Monty Chandler:
Miguel G.:
Monty Chandler:
The design of the sesto senso 2 attachment to the frame of the course knob and then to the pin of the micro focuser, makes slippage on a R&P focuser almost impossible.   It's securely attached.   Very difficult to move when powered.  Other focuser designs need a brake applied etc and slip easily.  Not a sesto senso issue imo. Cheers.

I don't know if we are talking about the same:
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/366434-esprit-120-fine-focus-knob-slipping-and-sesto-senso-autofocuser-as-well/
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/741786-sesto-senso-2-robotic-focusing-motor-not-so-good/

As you correctly say, the sesto is attached to the frame of the coarse knob, but the motor engages the micro focuser shaft. And that is the mechanism that may slip. It has nothing to do whether the focuser is rp or crayford. Take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smAn6jLFfWc
and replace the hand by a motor. That's what I mean. The video is an extreme case; but what I want to state is that under certain cases with a heavy payload and a not-so-well adjusted focuser, slippage may occur

EDIT: and, as stated, is not a sesto senso issue. Is a combination of a non adjusted focuser+payload+electric focuser design

It is attached to the micro focuser pin via TWO grub screws which when tightened aren't going anywhere.  The motor under power will not allow the pin to move.  For the focuser to "slip" the pin has to move with a R&P focuser.   On a crayford, like the stock POS that comes with a RC8, it'll slip so bad it's useless.  So I tossed the focuser.  Cheers

We definitely are not talking about the same
This is the adjustment some esprit users need to do to avoid any slippage: http://www.dehilster.info/astronomy/skywatcher_esprit_150ed.php
I'm not talking about any specific motor focus. As you can see in the video in my previous post, slippage can occur without any motor. It is not the knob (or motor) which slips. It is the mechanism inside the microfocuser, which is driven by friction; even if the "main" focuser is rp
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
I have the SS2 on my Takahashi TOA150 and it works very well. I used this same motor on my GTX, which required an extension adapter and that did not work very well. So I'd say it's a good solution if it connects to your focuser without the need for the additional connection adapter.
Semper_Iuvenis 2.10
· 
Miguel G.:
Monty Chandler:
Miguel G.:
Monty Chandler:
The design of the sesto senso 2 attachment to the frame of the course knob and then to the pin of the micro focuser, makes slippage on a R&P focuser almost impossible.   It's securely attached.   Very difficult to move when powered.  Other focuser designs need a brake applied etc and slip easily.  Not a sesto senso issue imo. Cheers.

I don't know if we are talking about the same:
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/366434-esprit-120-fine-focus-knob-slipping-and-sesto-senso-autofocuser-as-well/
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/741786-sesto-senso-2-robotic-focusing-motor-not-so-good/

As you correctly say, the sesto is attached to the frame of the coarse knob, but the motor engages the micro focuser shaft. And that is the mechanism that may slip. It has nothing to do whether the focuser is rp or crayford. Take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smAn6jLFfWc
and replace the hand by a motor. That's what I mean. The video is an extreme case; but what I want to state is that under certain cases with a heavy payload and a not-so-well adjusted focuser, slippage may occur

EDIT: and, as stated, is not a sesto senso issue. Is a combination of a non adjusted focuser+payload+electric focuser design

It is attached to the micro focuser pin via TWO grub screws which when tightened aren't going anywhere.  The motor under power will not allow the pin to move.  For the focuser to "slip" the pin has to move with a R&P focuser.   On a crayford, like the stock POS that comes with a RC8, it'll slip so bad it's useless.  So I tossed the focuser.  Cheers

We definitely are not talking about the same
This is the adjustment some esprit users need to do to avoid any slippage: http://www.dehilster.info/astronomy/skywatcher_esprit_150ed.php
I'm not talking about any specific motor focus. As you can see in the video in my previous post, slippage can occur without any motor. It is not the knob (or motor) which slips. It is the mechanism inside the microfocuser, which is driven by friction; even if the "main" focuser =14px*

Finally got a chance to look at the vids.  We are NOT talking about the same thing, thankfully.  I was referring to the post topic of the SS2, not a broken Esprit 150ED focuser to be sure.  I have the Esprit 120ed and the SS2 has been on it since its first use.  Has never come off.  I don't break my rig down, so the focuser has been on the scope with it's entire train in tact since day one.  My focuser has never slipped. I'd consider it defective if it did.  Just can't talk about broken focusers in the same breath as discussing the auto focuser performance, IMO.  Cheers!
mgutierrez 1.43
· 
Monty Chandler:
Finally got a chance to look at the vids. We are NOT talking about the same thing, thankfully. I was referring to the post topic of the SS2, not a broken Esprit 150ED focuser to be sure. I have the Esprit 120ed and the SS2 has been on it since its first use. Has never come off. I don't break my rig down, so the focuser has been on the scope with it's entire train in tact since day one. My focuser has never slipped. I'd consider it defective if it did. Just can't talk about broken focusers in the same breath as discussing the auto focuser performance, IMO. Cheers!

only to clarify; you only need a slightly non-so-well adjusted (not a completely faulty one) focuser and a heavy payload to probably get some slippage. I don't know if it depends on the brand, model, or even a particular edition of the focuser. Not sure, honestly. My focuser (esprit100) was a bit unadjusted, but enough to make my heavy optical train slip. I had no issues with my previous train, though. Now with my focuser adjusted correctly, my motor focus attached to microfocuser shaft works properly (although I don't manage to get a proper offset filter calculation, but doesn't matter). These types of motor focusers are a great option: zero backlash, very easy installation, lightweight, precision, etc. I'm now a happy user of one of these motor focus. Just wanted only to advise the users to take into account these details before buying.

cheers
Rouzbeh 8.40
· 
·  1 like
I wrote a review on it here:

https://astrogeartoday.com/focus-motor-comparison-zwo-eaf-vs-primaluce-labs-sesto-senso-2/

CS
Rouz
WS65 0.90
· 
I use the V2 since one year together with NINA and I had no problems, also not with heavy rigs. I´m absolutely satisfied.

Register or login to create to post a reply.