Attachments for the EAF William Optics Redcat 71 · Alicja Lombard · ... · 11 · 493 · 1

Alicja 0.00
· 
I am setting up the William Optics Redcat71 Telescope.  Has anyone used one of the following attachments for the EAF: WO REDCAT 71 ZWO EAF DOVETAIL KIT or BuckeyeStargazer ZWO EAF Mount  for William Optics Redcat71 Telescope? Are there any other options?
cpl42 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
I can't comment on the kit you list, but I have been using DeepSkyDad's EAF kit, and can attest to its ease of installing, and flawless operation for the past 12 months. (https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser/redcat71/eaf)

Paul Lloyd
Edited ...
Passingsaturn 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I use the attachment from Deepskydad and it’s perfect. I also got the attachment for the Asiair from them.
Supro 3.81
· 
I used this one "Pro AstroGear's "Big" Black-CAT Mount # BCM71" while I had my Redcat71. I've since sold the redcat, but the mount kit did exactly what was intended. When installing it's important to zero out the EAF and match that to the farthest position of the helical focuser. I imagine this is the same for any of the EAF+Helical Focusing scopes though.
D-Rider 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
I have the ProAstroGear on my Cat71 which is superb. It holds EAF, and ASI air and leaves room for a guider. As the EAF is mounted to the side there is no need to raise the assembly with inserts to fit it underneath which moves everything away from the RA axis. The focus ring setup is really accurate.

cat71.JPG
cpl42 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Just a couple of comments raised by some of the responses:

1. I've never bothered to "zero out" my EAF - I first got a fairly decent manual focus on a distant terrestrial target, put the EAF at around 33,000 (mid-range), then installed it. That provides me with a lot of focusing leeway. By way of example, but perhaps not directly applicable to this case, I have done the same with my WO FLT110 and am able to move the draw-tube its entire length (150mm) and still have plenty of focus adjustment left at each end.

2. I can see the advantage of keeping the optical axis close to the RA axis, but my experience of the DeepSkyDad kit is that my guiding errors for my RC71 are no different from two longer focal length refractors (typically 0.5-0.8 arcsec with my stock-standard EQ6-R) that are as close to the mount as I can make them. I think that by the time you mount the 'scope on a bar + rings setup, the 'scope's optical axis is already a good distance from the RA axis, and the extra height of the DSD kit becomes somewhat marginal.

Just my tuppence worth! I hope it doesn't confuse. P.
fenntunne 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I use the deepskydad for my RC71. I removed the back extension tube on the Redcat to give the focuser a bit more out focus room when using N.I.N.A.  Its not really necessary but allows the hyperbolic to fully form.
Only other issue, the RC71 no longer fits in the case due to the extended blocks.  it fits at an angle, sort of.

clear skies!
Alicja 0.00
· 
Thank you all for responding, I feel more confident whichever  setup I go with.

Alicja
RichAstro 0.90
· 
·  1 like
I too, use the Big Black-Cat Mount BCM71 on my RedCat 71[b]. [/b] It is a nice clean 3-D printed piece of hardware and very easy to install and use. Everything fits together nicely and at a price point is hard to pass up.

CS
Richard
Alicja 0.00
· 
Thank you all for helping. I have another question regarding WORC 71, since I am still waiting for mine to come (it is on backorder), I was wondering if anyone can tell me the outside diameter of the scope, I need to get a solar filter and want to order it sooner then later. Thank you.
cpl42 0.90
· 
·  1 like
I take it that you are wanting a filter that fits over the dew shield at the front end of the 'scope. I've just measured the internal diameter of the lens cap at 105mm. I hope this helps,

Paul.
Alicja 0.00
· 
Thank you.

Register or login to create to post a reply.