New Askar 71F Flatfield quadruplet - Too good to be true? Generic equipment discussions · PiccioneTatuato · ... · 10 · 1165 · 0

PiccioneTatuato 0.00
· 
Hello just today i saw this new OTA from Askar:

Askar 71F 70mm f/6.9 Quadruplet Flat-Field Astrograph # 71F (agenaastro.com)

While the scope is still in pre-order here in Switzerland (no idea if its already being sold in other places), i was looking at the specs and it seems to be pretty damn good for EUR/CHF 590.00:
  • Aperture size:71mm
  • Focal length:490mm
  • Focal ratio:f/6.9
  • Groos Weight: 3 Kg
  • Objective lens:Quadruplet air-spaced APO (including one ED glass)
  • Image circle:44mm

The question is still about that ED glass, which is only 1 out of the total 4 elements. 

Just curious about the community's first opinion on it!

Clear Skies
SemiPro 7.67
· 
·  1 like
Being F/6.9 is a dagger straight to the heart. That is super slow for the focal length you get.
LookBackInTime 2.41
· 
A bit slow. As for ED glass, only one element really needs to be so. (See  Smith, Ceragioli, and Berry: "Telescopes, Eyepieces and Astrographs: Design, Analysis and Performance of Modern Astronomical Optics")
JohnHen 7.78
· 
·  1 like
Specs look interesting. The big question is whether it holds up to the promise of 44mm image circle.
Starlancer 2.11
· 
Yeah F7 isn’t that fastest and as soon as you add a reducer you a back to calculating backfocus.  I will say I have an Askar 103 and it’s amazing for the price but I run it with the .6 reducer so it’s fast as well:
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
·  1 like
For me this scope will be perfect only if i use my IMX571 with it for RGB only, beside or next to my FRA400 with 294 mono camera, both will have almost same FOV, that will be a great use of it for me.
astroCH 0.00
· 
Hi,

This scope popped into my eyes recently and the specs are pretty promising. I've had a quick look at the spot diagram published by Askar, and compared it with other competitors such WO RedCat 71 (Petzval) and FRA500 (Quintuplet). Seems to be descent enough, especially while using square sensor like my ASI553 MC Pro.
Just ordered one at local dealer here in Switzerland  ...but no idea about the delay 

Keep in touch.
Christophe
prostcj 0.00
· 
Seems like a solid choice at that price point.
Edited ...
MaksPower 0.00
· 
The specs look very close to this, and I have had the TS version for a few years. It is fine upto APS-C, and a good price for what it does:

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/ts-imaging-star-70-mm-f678-ed-quadruplet-flatfield-apo-refraktor

There is a faster f/5 version (costs more):

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/ts-optics-70-mm-f5-quadruplet-flatfield-apo-with-3-element-fpl53-objective

FWIW Most of these cheap APOs originate from Kunming United Optics, rebadged (paint, anodizing and a label) to suit various resellers. ASKAR have a habit of fiddling with the numbers by a few mm to try to differentiate theirs from the others, but I'd bet it's identical to mine.
Edited ...
TareqPhoto 2.94
· 
Nick Loveday:
The specs look very close to this, and I have had the TS version for a few years. It is fine upto APS-C, and a good price for what it does:

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/ts-imaging-star-70-mm-f678-ed-quadruplet-flatfield-apo-refraktor

There is a faster f/5 version (costs more):

https://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/ts-optics-70-mm-f5-quadruplet-flatfield-apo-with-3-element-fpl53-objective

FWIW Most of these cheap APOs originate from Kunming United Optics, rebadged (paint, anodizing and a label) to suit various resellers. ASKAR have a habit of fiddling with the numbers by a few mm to try to differentiate theirs from the others, but I'd bet it's identical to mine.

Askar one is cheaper than TS Optics one, also i like the blue color more or green because i have two IMX571 cameras in blue so it will match Askar 71F more than TS, and the shipping i could find free shipping for Askar while not possible with TS scopes, for me it is like Askar is responding to all other manufacturers and giving me better prices despite they are all identical in design or performance.

F/5 Quad is always expensive, but Askar is trying to get closer with nice prices, i can get Askar FRA300 before i can afford any 70mm F/5 Petzval, in fact i managed to get FRA400 with a reducer cheaper [and free shipping] than 70mm F/5 native without anything.
prostcj 0.00
· 
Considering the TS 70 F5 uses FPL53 glass that is a pretty solid price.  It seems for imaging the type of glass used is becoming a moot point.....

Register or login to create to post a reply.