Best astrograph for under $500 Generic equipment discussions · Ryaja · ... · 21 · 773 · 2

Ryaja 0.00
· 
I'm looking at getting a better telescope for astrophotography. But my budget is limited. It has to work with a star adventurer 2i so reflectors are probably out of the picture. I found this would it work? https://a.co/d/be0MO4V
CCDnOES 5.61
· 
·  3 likes
I hate to say it but "astrograph" and "under $500" is a nearly impossible combination. 

Just my .02...
RafaDeOz 6.32
· 
135mm F2.0 Full Frame Telephoto
Ryaja 0.00
· 
Rafael Amarins:

I'm looking for something with a focal length of at least 300. Sorry I should have specified.
CosmicCowboy 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Askar FMA180  or Skywatcher Evoguide 50ed. I have the Skywatcher and it’s pretty fast at f4.8 but you will need the Starizona field flattener. Both should be under $500. Watch Pretty Average Astro on Youtube he demonstrates one very well. Poor man’s Redcat 51?
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  1 like
Nikon AFS 300mm f/4. Meets the definition of astrograph and costs less than 500 USD used.
WhooptieDo 9.24
· 
Rafael Amarins:

I'm looking for something with a focal length of at least 300. Sorry I should have specified.

I would highly recommend keeping the focal length no more than half of that if you want reasonable results from a Star Adventurer.  300mm is wayy too much, and the weight of something like the scope you first suggested FARRR exceeds it's capacity.    The only saving grace for a longer focal length is if you have a camera with large pixels, say at least 5um.

Roki 135 is a tried, tested, and proven little platform.  You're going to have an extremely difficult time beating it for the price you are willing to spend.
Ryaja 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Aaron:
Askar FMA180  or Skywatcher Evoguide 50ed. I have the Skywatcher and it’s pretty fast at f4.8 but you will need the Starizona field flattener. Both should be under $500. Watch Pretty Average Astro on Youtube he demonstrates one very well. Poor man’s Redcat 51?

I can probably save a bit and get this would it work: https://a.co/d/ab2EyHQ

One second thought, no I'll probably get the one you recommended, I'd need around an 11mm spacer for my camera and the flattener you recommended. But I can only find 10mm ones. Any suggestions?
Edited ...
andreatax 7.90
· 
Meh...
dummieastro 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Astrotech AT60ED FPL53 Lanthanum with field flattener 360mm   Canon 300mm F4
Edited ...
krags711 2.41
· 
If you can find the right used telescope you could get a better one for under $500. Maybe a little bit bigger than 50 or 60mm. A telescope you can pick up and checkout before you buy ideally.
krags711 2.41
· 
Ioptron has a 150mm f4 Newtonian for under 500 dollars but the sky watcher version is 12 dollars over 500 dollars really right now.
Alexn 0.00
· 
Your best bet is going to be a good quality camera lens, or a small newtonian with a quality coma corrector.

Your mount is really going to limit your options in that respect... 

Some of the older Nikon 300mm f/4.5's are incredibly flat and sharp, then you've got the AF-S 300mm f/4 too... You might even find a 400mm f/4.5 in your budget used, but I've not tested one of those myself... I had a lot of experience with the 300mm f/4.5 with a full frame sensor a few years back, the results were truly stunning!

Canon have some absolute ripper lenses too. The Canon 135 f/2, 200 f/2.8 (prime, not zoom) are both amazing
Rokinon/Samyang 135mm f/2.

Newtonians from 130mm to 150mm at f/4 will be great, but in a decent breeze, your results may vary because of the mount..
Dcolam 3.31
· 
·  1 like
Aaron:

One second thought, no I'll probably get the one you recommended, I'd need around an 11mm spacer for my camera and the flattener you recommended. But I can only find 10mm ones. Any suggestions?

The SW 72ED is a very nice scope for a beginner but I had big trouble balancing it on the Star Adventurer. You need a sturdy tripod for sure and a longer dovetail bc the one that comes with the 72ED is unusable. But it delivers nice results and if you are careful it is workable.

Check out my first images for reference.

As other people have pointed out, the Rokinon 135mm is a superb little lens, not heavy at all and pairs well with the SA. Dont underestimate how fast it is, you will get results in no time.
Edited ...
Ryaja 0.00
· 
Aaron:

The SW 72ED is a very nice scope for a beginner but I had big trouble balancing it on the Star Adventurer. You need a sturdy tripod for sure and a longer dovetail bc the one that comes with the 72ED is unusable. But it delivers nice results and if you are careful it is workable.

Check out my first images for reference.

As other people have pointed out, the Rokinon 135mm is a superb little lens, not heavy at all and pairs well with the SA. Dont underestimate how fast it is, you will get results in no time.

I edited the post, I think I'll get the smaller one than upgrade my mount to like an heq-5 or something then get a guide camera and a larger scope.
Edited ...
CosmicCowboy 0.00
· 
On this link you will find the exact spacing and how to achieve it with the flattener and the SW Evoguide 50ED.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0327/2569/6648/files/Evo50_Backfocus_Diagrams_8110d37f-50f5-47ec-be9a-fbf57853328c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1625766525
cosmetatos 0.90
· 

This is one of the best choices and leaves room for improvement once you upgrade your mount, your camera, autofocuser etc.

The Evoguide50 is really good value as it is under your budget of 500$ (even after including the flattener -get the starizona one), BUT - the focuser is not that great, difficult to add autofocuser in the future and personally I had some slight tilt issues - I could not get all the corners to be in good focus
Ryaja 0.00
· 
Cosmetatos:

This is one of the best choices and leaves room for improvement once you upgrade your mount, your camera, autofocuser etc.

The Evoguide50 is really good value as it is under your budget of 500$ (even after including the flattener -get the starizona one), BUT - the focuser is not that great, difficult to add autofocuser in the future and personally I had some slight tilt issues - I could not get all the corners to be in good focus

I can always start using the evoguide 50 as a guide scope for a better telescope.
RafaDeOz 6.32
· 
Askar 71 is out for just over 600usd
For astrophotography and this FL and mount you won't get a better deal out of the box
By out of the box I mean no collimation acessories, no field flattener or spacers. Just screw in, focus and go.
TiffsAndAstro 0.00
· 
Sw 72ed and ovl field flattener might count as a budget astrograph?

If you squint while looking at it ;)

$400
CosmicCowboy 0.00
· 
·  2 likes
Imaged with the SW Evoguide 50ED in a bortle 7 zone. One hour and twenty minutes of data so it’s pretty fast.
image.jpeg
Edited ...
GVAstrogirls 2.41
· 
·  1 like
Aaron:

I tried out the Evoguide 50ED with a DSLR and the flattener from Starizona last summer for imaging instead of guiding and pleasantly surprised at how well it did. It is a great little scope and costs a lot less than the Redcat51. Maybe you are looking for a longer focal length though? Here is a photo (sorry it's oversaturated but you will get an idea)

Part of Rho Ophiuchi Around Antares

Register or login to create to post a reply.