My Antlia ALP-T verses IDAS NBZ Filter Comparison. [Solar System] Acquisition techniques · Dale Penkala · ... · 12 · 953 · 1

DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  4 likes
Hello all,
I posted a couple of weeks back that I was looking at doing a comparison between 2 filters. My IDAS NBZ filter (10nm) and the Antlia ALP-T (5nm) filter. I was finally able to get the data collected and processed, and I have it at the link below for anyone that may be interested in either of the 2 filters.
I won't spell out all the details about the data collection, equipment used or processing as it's all at the link to the comparison. However, here are the individual images that I processed with the exact same processing. I will however comment that after background neutralization and color calibration, the difference was not as pronounced! Also keep in mind, basic processing is all that I did. Nothing to enhance either image was done. Again, details are at the link below. 

https://www.astrobin.com/uz2syz/E/

I hope some of you find this useful. It was a fun and interesting project, and I'm continuing to collect more data for a final image.

Dale

Antlia - IDAS Filter Comparison.jpg
AstroNikko 3.61
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering the Antlia ALP-T. I appreciate the testing and comparison. Very helpful.

Clear skies,

Nikko
wittinobi 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
why have the stars with nbz six spikes?
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Thanks for sharing this. I've been considering the Antlia ALP-T. I appreciate the testing and comparison. Very helpful.

Clear skies,

Nikko

Hello Nikko,
Your welcome, I’m glad someone could find this useful. I’m going to post the same images WITHOUT background neutralization and color calibration for people to see there is more difference in the color contrast. I’ll try to do that later on this evening.

Dale
DalePenkala 15.85
· 

Thats a good question, I do not know. I’ve see other images with the same appearance. I haven’t gotten that in 5 minute subs. These are 10 minute subs. Wish I could answer that for you better. Look at any of my other images with the NBZ and you will not see the 6 spikes.

Dale
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  2 likes
Dale Penkala:

Thats a good question, I do not know. I’ve see other images with the same appearance. I haven’t gotten that in 5 minute subs. These are 10 minute subs. Wish I could answer that for you better. Look at any of my other images with the NBZ and you will not see the 6 spikes.

Dale

I think it is due to a tilt of the filter and it is specific to that filter only. I do get them, but rarely
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
andrea tasselli:
Dale Penkala:

Dale

I think it is due to a tilt of the filter and it is specific to that filter only. I do get them, but rarely

Ya this is the 1st time I have had that on my images, but have seen them on others. I don’t know if this would make a difference but this image was 10 minute subs. 1st time I’ve actually shot that long of subs. I’m normally 180-300 seconds which do not give me the 6 spikes.

Dale
Mau_Bard 2.11
· 
·  1 like
Thank you for the original posting @Dale Penkala and for the interesting discussion here.
Apart for the "additional spike" it seems that the original IDAS NBZ image is even slightly more contrasted that the Antlia one. It is just a specific case here due to processing, or is it a constant characteristic in your opinion?
I like both images very much, they both look very clean and devoid of any star halos, typical of the Optolong L-eXtreme, for instance. By usingthe filters which one would you buy today?

Thanks again for your advice, and clear skies to all!

Mau
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Thank you for the original posting @Dale Penkala and for the interesting discussion here.
Apart for the "additional spike" it seems that the original IDAS NBZ image is even slightly more contrasted that the Antlia one. It is just a specific case here due to processing, or is it a constant characteristic in your opinion?
I like both images very much, they both look very clean and devoid of any star halos, typical of the Optolong L-eXtreme, for instance. By usingthe filters which one would you buy today?

Mau

Hello Mau,
I'm glad you found it helpful. I did my best to keep the processing exactly the same for apples to apples comparison, so for the processing part, I guess that's up to the reader to decide. I was pleased with the comparison.
As far as which one to purchase, I have them both. When I bought the Antlia it replaced the NBZ on my main rig which is my 12" f5 newt and the NBZ went to my wide field setup which bounces from my 80mm - 102mm refactors. In both cases, I feel they perform exceptionally well, and I don't plan to change the setup for either anytime soon. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either filter, but if you have a larger aperture setup I'd consider the Antilia and for a smaller setup consider the NBZ as the Antlia will need longer exposure times being that its 5nm band pass.

Hope this helps!

Dale
andreatax 7.90
· 
·  2 likes
I like both images very much, they both look very clean and devoid of any star halos, typical of the Optolong L-eXtreme

I don't find them to produce halos... or no more than others in my armory of filters.
Mau_Bard 2.11
· 
andrea tasselli:
I like both images very much, they both look very clean and devoid of any star halos, typical of the Optolong L-eXtreme

I don't find them to produce halos... or no more than others in my armory of filters.

Thank you Andrea, this is what I meant: both filters do not show show any halo. I have an L-eXtreme that is a good filter BUT unfortunately produces large star halos with my Newton, therefore I am looking for a replacement, and the discussion here was extremely interesting in this regard.
Edited ...
Mau_Bard 2.11
· 
·  1 like
Dale Penkala:

Mau

Hello Mau,
I'm glad you found it helpful. I did my best to keep the processing exactly the same for apples to apples comparison, so for the processing part, I guess that's up to the reader to decide. I was pleased with the comparison.
As far as which one to purchase, I have them both. When I bought the Antlia it replaced the NBZ on my main rig which is my 12" f5 newt and the NBZ went to my wide field setup which bounces from my 80mm - 102mm refactors. In both cases, I feel they perform exceptionally well, and I don't plan to change the setup for either anytime soon. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either filter, but if you have a larger aperture setup I'd consider the Antilia and for a smaller setup consider the NBZ as the Antlia will need longer exposure times being that its 5nm band pass.

Hope this helps!

Dale

Thank you Dale once again for the clear explanation.
I sleep it over and tomorrow I buy one of the two!   Update: I could not wait : I have bought the ALP-T  and in addition the Askar D2 SII-OIII, to add from time to time the SII signal.

Ciao and clear skies!
Mau
Edited ...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Dale Penkala:

Mau

Hello Mau,

Hope this helps!

Dale

Thank you Dale once again for the clear explanation.
I sleep it over and tomorrow I buy one of the two!   Update: I could not wait : I have bought the ALP-T  and in addition the Askar D2 SII-OIII, to add from time to time the SII signal.

Ciao and clear skies!
Mau

You’re welcome and congrats on the new gear! Enjoy them!

Dale

Register or login to create to post a reply.